SAYLA - a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, is open to Guadalupe County teens who will be entering their Junior or Senior year in the Fall of 2017.
SAYLA is a one-week leadership academy July 15-21 and the selected students spend the week together at TLU and throughout the community. Photos of last year's SAYLA groups can be seen here.
Here are some words from some of the teens who participated last year -
- I loved SAYLA. I was kind of exhausted and ready to go home after like 4 days.
- I thought everything was really great. I learned so much and I can apply what I learned in my everyday life.
- Although our original goal changed, we will were able to help the Family Violence Shelter. My SAYLA experience was an adventure for learning and I enjoyed every minute of it.
- I was very pleased with what SAYLA taught me and I believe it’s a well thought-out expeirnece that all who want to be leaders should attend.
- This experience to me was awesome and something I will never forget. If I could do it all over again in the intense heat, I would.
Describe how the SAYLA experience has affected you.
- It has given me more friends and has helped me step outside of my comfort zone.
- This has really affected me by being so much more interested in the community and doing volunteer work. If anything, it was has definitely strengthened my drive to do volunteer work.
- Now I want to be more involved in my community and I want to be a leader in society.
- I am able to lead and work well with others and I have gained many new friends as well
- I learned leadaership and teambuilding that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I also discovered a lot about my community that I was previously unaware of.
- Through SAYLA, I gained great friends, more leadership skills, and a better knowledge of the community I live in.
- It affected me greatly just not only leadership skills but working with others.
- I now have new knowledge about out community and I know about businesses that I had no clue existed before. I also have new friends I can keep up with on Snapchat and Instagram. I have somany fun memories to look back on.
- Has made me more of a team player and work with new people to reach a goal. And made me love BLT Pizza.